Category: Product Database

The primary idea behind the Product Database was to create a web service that stores various product information. It’s build to work with information about Network equipment, like Routers and Switches. The database contains base data (description, list prices etc.) and lifecycle data (End-of-Sale/End-of-Life) about the products. Based on this data, it provides an easy way to perform an End-of-Life (EoL) check on multiple products. It also connects to the Cisco EoX API to synchronise the EoL data directly with Cisco Systems. As an alternative, you can import product information using Excel. The access to the data is possible using the web interface or using a REST API.

The following picture illustrates the use case for the Product Database.

Product Database overview

There are also some additional features, like custom Product Lists that provides a reduced set of Products, e.g. to describe company preferences. Furthermore, the latest version 0.4 stores the product replacement options from the Cisco EoX API and performs a recursive lookup to get a valid replacement product.

The entire source code is available in the Product-Database Github repository.

Product Database: Now with replacement options for EoL products (V0.4)

Today, I released the next version of the Product Database. There are two primary new features: the product replacement options and the new Product Check. The previous Bulk EoL check was removed and replaced by the Product Check. These product replacement options (or product migrations) are created based on the data provided by the Cisco EoX API or using an Excel upload.

Read more

Product Database: Automate Cisco EoL checks (V0.3)

Almost a year ago, I start a side project to create a web service that automates End-of-Life (EoL) checks. It targets primarily to equipment from Cisco Systems. My primary intention was to learn Django and some other web technologies. Furthermore, I liked to play with the Cisco API console (more specific the Cisco EoX API).
After I finished the first version, it runs for quite some time in my company. Some months ago, I decided to extend this Project a little bit. The first step was a review of what I’ve done last year. I recognized fast that the code needs some updates…

Read more